“Ask yourself the following first thing in the morning:
- What am I lacking in attaining freedom from passion?
- What for tranquility?
- What am I? A mere body, estate-holder, or reputation? None of these things.
- What, then? A rational being.
- What then is demanded of me? Meditate on your actions.
- How did I steer away from serenity?
- What did I do that was unfriendly, unsocial, or uncaring?
- What did I fail to do in all these things?”
~ Epictetus, Discourses, 4.6.34-35
If you don’t have a morning routine, and want to reignite your life, it is vital to start a morning routine. Or if you work hours that don’t allow you to get up in the morning, then this would work for when you wake up. Before the New Year, I did get up early many mornings so I could go to the gym. But since the New Year, I have been way more consistent. This has been my routine:
This is going to definitely be different for everybody. But, in any case if you get into a good routine, you will have more energy and your day will be much better.
If you’d like some great advice on how to start a morning routine, I highly recommend the book Good Morning, Good Life by Amy Landino